INTERMEDIATE GOALS (please read carefully)
- Grammar usage: please correct any grammar errors. Rather than give the correct grammar, ask the girl if she would like to rethink her sentence. Let her work out where the error is. After trying and not succeeding, you might suggest “is the verb in agreement with the subject” and so on.
- Retention: start with 3-4 easy sentences and work up to more. Read the sentences and ask her to repeat, word for word the sentences. Then ask what they mean. A call center employee has to hear, be able to recall and act on customer explanations.
- Fluidity; they have to keep a conversation going without pauses and fillers (ummm, ahhh or silences). They have to understand increasingly difficult levels of conversation (commensurate with the NorthStar reading levels)
- Problem solving: develop the thinking process necessary to gather information, determine a solution and explain the possibilities. NorthStar is a system that requires thinking and problem solving.
- NorthStar: Your use of NorthStar should be the thinking, reasoning, problem solving sections. You should not be spending time going over vocabulary building homework questions. You, as a resource are much more important in conversational skill development.
- Please do not spend your precious time together having her read from a book. Anyone can read from a book without understanding the content. NorthStar discussions require thinking, creating good sentence structure and grammar in conversation and problem solving skill building. These are the necessary tools to getting a bilingual job.
INTERMEDIATE LEVEL RESOURCES
- Intermediate Lesson Plans Intermediate Lesson Plans 2018
- ENGLISH ANGELS
- NS Basic Lesson Goals
- Tell Me More
- Basico Ingles Suggested Use: If you find your girl is missing some grammar theme, you can look up the page numbers by topic and/or page numbers and assign your girl those pages. Have her read these pages to you the following week, then give an example in her own words, etc. Or, you can have her use the correct form in the following week’s lesson. See BEGINNERS section for download
NORTHSTAR LESSON FORMAT
Many of the sections should be done by your girl while in their classes or as homework, not using your precious time together.
For lessons that have been transcribed, there is color coding. These sections are marked in RED. GREEN are sections you might choose to use as a conversation starter. BLUE topics are generally discussion of analysis and problem solving sections. It would be most helpful if you would participate in these parts. Ask questions or listen to her solutions before giving your opinions, please.
Focus on the Topic
- Predicting topic from series of pictures: promote thinking and analyzing- should be done the week before starting on this lesson
- Sharing Information: having opinions and problem solving
- Preparing to listen: using information given
- Vocabulary for comprehension
Focus on Listening
- Listening One
Listen for main ideas
Listening for details and answering questions
Reacting to listening and discussion
- Second listening section
Focus on Vocabulary
- Use the new words in sentences
Focus on Speaking
- Pronunciation: stress
- Small talk
- Grammar: some topic
- NS I Ch.1 Advertizing on the Air
- NS I Ch.2 Pushing the Limit
- NS I Ch.3 Too Good to be True
- NS I Ch.4 Art of Storytelling
- NS I Ch.5 Separated by Same Language
- NS I Ch.6 Culture and Commerce
- NS I Ch.7 Joking Around
- NS I Ch.8 Traditional or Trendy
- NS I Ch.9 Spank or not to Spank
- NS I Ch.10 Before You Say I Do
NORTHSTAR High Intermediate
- NS HI Ch.1 News Resisters ESL Angels
- NS HI Ch.2 The Achiles Heel scan
- NS HI Ch.3 Early to Bed, Early to Rise
- NS HI Ch.4 Eye of the Storm
- NS HI Ch.5 You Will be this Land
- NS HI Ch.6 It’s Better to Give Than Receive
- NS HI Ch.7 Emotional Intelligence
- NS HI Ch.8 Goodbye to Sit-Down Meal
- NS HI Ch.9 Finding a Nitche- Young Immigrants
- NS HI Ch.10 Technology Blessing or Curse