It is easy to put off English lessons, as no one is standing in front of them daily. However, you can help by making part of your lesson to include their English class work.
a) You have a copy of the lesson plans, so can reinforce the grammar and speaking by using the current grammar topic. For example, if he topic is subject pronouns, have a conversation using them and expecting her to use them.
b) When they have readings in various books, adapt your conversation to be able that topic. Example, if the topic is you health, you can ask her to explain what they do that maintains health in their bodies – or what causes health problems. Get her to talk, using the new vocabulary.
- 1 Beginner’s lesson plans 2018 (Click on the link to download the file)
TELL ME MORE – DISK 1
- TMM lesson objectives by lesson group
- TMM 1-2 Descriptions
- TMM 1-3 Number & Letters
- TMM 1-4 Dates and Times
- TMM 1-6 Objects Animals
- TMM 1-7 Adjectives
- TMM 1-8 Coming to America
Basico Ingles Coverage and,
Basico Ingles topical, by page summary.
If you find your girl is missing some grammar theme, you can look up the page numbers by topic and/or page numbers and assign your girl those pages. Have her read these pages to you the following week, then give an example in her own words, etc. You can give the lesson without having a copy of the book.
BEGINNER’S HEALTH BOOK TRANSCRIPTS
Transcript of the various chapters aimed at starting discussions.
Suggested Use: discussion and questions she needs to answer – more than Yes/No answers. for example: has the chapter on brushing teeth been important? Why-how?
SHORT STORY TRANSCRIPTS
- L1 reading – stories:
These are low reading level stories. You have the transcripts and many of the recordings your girl should have already listened to.
Suggested Use: discussion of the stories may include what she learned, do they have similar animals/ experiences, etc, did she think it was interesting and why?
- NS Basic Ch.1 Offbeat Jobs ESL
- NS Basic Ch.2 A piece of the country in the City
- NS Basic Ch.3 A Penny Saved
- NS Basic Ch.3 A Penny Saved
- NS Basic Ch.4 At Your Service- Service Animals
- NS Basic Ch.5 Celletiquete
- NS Basic Ch.6 Is It Woman’s Work
- NS Basic Ch.7 Good Food Moods
- NS Basic Ch.8 An Ice Palace to Stay
- NS Basic Ch.9 Staying Healthy
- NS Basic Ch.10 Endangered Languages
NORTHSTAR LESSON FORMAT
Many of the sections should be done by your girl while in their classes or as homework, not using your precious time together.
For lessons that have been transcribed, there is color coding. These sections are marked in RED. GREEN are sections you might choose to use as a conversation starter. BLUE topics are generally discussion of analysis and problem solving sections. It would be most helpful if you would participate in these parts. Ask questions or listen to her solutions before giving your opinions, please.
Focus on the Topic
- Predicting topic from series of pictures: promote thinking and analyzing- should be done the week before starting on this lesson
- Sharing Information: having opinions and problem solving
- Preparing to listen: using information given
- Vocabulary for comprehension
Focus on Listening
- Listening One
Listen for main ideas
Listening for details and answering questions
Reacting to listening and discussion
- Second listening section
Focus on Vocabulary
- Use the new words in sentences
Focus on Speaking
- Pronunciation: stress
- Small talk
- Grammar: some topic
READ ON TWO transcript
BEYOND BEGINNINGS TRANSCRIPT
- New Beginnings transcript optional